After sixty-five years as a gracious and homelike meeting hall, the Sweet Club House is moving on to a new life in serving the Greater Attleboro Area. The Attleboro YMCA is taking ownership of the facility and will use it for food distribution programs. The Attleboro Area Interfaith Collaborative also will establish its headquarters in the building. The YMCA has received a grant from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to adapt the building for its expanded uses.
The House was built in 1956 with a bequest from Florence Hayward Sweet originally to provide a venue for the many women’s groups which had been gathering in the members’ homes. All of the organizations have ended, except for the Attleboro Garden Club and the Chaminade Music Club. Those two groups are still active, though meetings have been suspended during the COVID-19 pandemic. They plan to continue activities in other locations. For many years the Sweet Club House has been available to any group for rental, but the pandemic has curtailed all meetings, and lack of income has considerably reduced the Sweet Club House endowment. Therefore, the Board of Directors has found a new purpose for The Sweet Club House. While moving on to the next phase of life, the Board acknowledges the extraordinary service of Jessie Macomber, who has faithfully and expertly provided management for The Sweet Club House for many years.